Instructions for use and care for BERNDES cookware
Congratulations on purchasing a BERNDES quality product. We hope you enjoy cooking with your new cookware for a long time. During manufacturing, our non-stick coatings are checked at regular intervals in test labs to ensure you buy quality
products that do not pose any risk to health. We wish to point out that we do not use PFOA in any of our coatings.
To ensure you enjoy your product for as long as possible, we have compiled a list of important tips and instructions on how to care for your BERNDES product.
1. General instructions for the use of your BERNDES product:
• To keep your high-quality cookware in good condition, avoid using sharp or pointed objects such as knives or forks. While normal traces of use (light scratching) do not affect the function of the cookware, we still recommend you use kitchen utensils made of wood, plastic or silicone. Any scratches you can feel with your fingernail can damage the coating permanently.
• Adding oil or fat
– while cooking with non-stick coated cookware is not necessary
– is sufficient for frying with ceramic or quartz (b.nature) coated cookware.
Some drops of oil or fat are enough.
However is is important to use the right oil or fat to avoid burning at certain temperatures. For more information on this, see the corresponding detailed information on our web pages on www.berndes.com
• Do not use nonstick sprays on your cookware. These sprays have a low burning temperature and will leave a sticky residue on your non-stick or ceramic coatings.
• CAUTION: Do not pour cold water onto hot fat. This can cause dangerous explosions. Using water to extinguish burning fats and oils can cause damage and physical injury. Use a fire blanket, lid or suitable fire extinguisher.
• Match burner size to pan size. Always use the burner that matches most closely with when using induction noises are possible, particularly when using high power levels. These noises are caused by resonances between individual heat sources and items of cookware and are normal.
• The excellent heat conduction of the cookware means you can continue to cook on a medium heat after initial frying or boiling, in this way saving energy.
• Do not heat the cookware for long periods when it is empty. When using induction cookers, the cookware heats up rapidly, therefore never heat the cookware when it is empty and always use a medium heat setting!
• Avoid pulling or pushing the cookware on delicate surfaces (glass ceramic, induction or halogen) to avoid scratches.
• Do not leave children unsupervised in the reach of hot cookware and hot stove tops.
• If you lift the lid during cooking, hot steam escapes from the pan. Please use a pan holder to avoid burns.
2. Cleaning and care instructions of your cookware:
• Before using for the first time, remove all packaging material and labels and clean the product in warm soapy water to remove any dust or particles it could have picked up during production and packaging.
• Never add cold water to a hot pan after use. Allow pan to cool down a bit, then fill it with hot water to prevent overheating from burned-in fat residues
(cooking oils evaporate at approx. 200 °C / 392 °F).
• All you need for cleaning is hot, soapy water together with a soft sponge, rinse well in warm water and dry. While Berndes has superior coatings, it is always necessary to wash thoroughly between uses. Any residue left by not cleaning will create a residue barrier over the non-stick coating, leaving the pan sticky and hard to use. Over the time this residue barrier can cause overheating damage.
• Your cookware will last longer if you wash it by hand. After time, harsh temperatures and detergents in the dishwasher may damage your cookware or lead to oxidation.
Always avoid washing products with wooden handles in the dishwasher as, over time, this will dry out the wood and cause damage to your handles.
• Do not store cookware while still wet.
• Any discolouration on the base of cast aluminium cookware is a harmless aluminium oxidation. It does not pose a health risk and does not affect the function of your cookware. The combination of water hardness, cleaning agent and temperature /moisture conditions in the dishwasher accelerates the natural oxidation process. This will void your warranty.
• Stack the utensil carefully, making sure not to scratch the coated surface. This will prolong its working life.
• Special instructions for non-stick coatings
– Non-stick coatings are not scratch-proof. For this reason, do not use sharp or pointed objects. We recommend kitchen utensils made of wood, plastic or silicone.
– An exception are products from the „Enduro“ series with especially hard silicon crystals in the surface. Here the use of metal kitchen helpers is also allowed, but no cutting.
• Special instructions for ceramic and quartz coatings (b.nature)
– These types of coating are extremely hard and scratch-resistant, but it has a limited impact-resistance. For products without trimmed rim, never bang utensils or lids onto the rim of the cookware. This could result in chipping and damage of your ceramic coating. To prevent wear over the long term, please use kitchen utensils made of plastic or wood and do not use sharp or pointed objects.
– Your cookware will last longer if you do not put it in the dishwasher. The cleaning agents used in dishwashers are often too aggressive and in the long term they cause a decrease of non-stick effect.
– An initial non-stick effect will decrease with the life of your cookware and is not comparable with the long-lasting non-stick properties of PTFE coatings. When frying, always use a small amount of oil or fat.
– In case of overheating there are usually no health risks by the coating itself, these tend to go out of burning oil or fat. Please therefore always use the right choice of your oil (smoke points).
• Special instructions for stainless steel cookware
– After you use it, fill it with hot water to remove any stuck-on food with the residual heat.
– All you need for cleaning is hot water, mild washing-up liquid and a soft sponge or cloth. Then bring back the shine.
– Over time, minerals in tap water can cause dull marks or stains on the surface. Clean these spots by rubbing them with half a lemon.
– You can remove stubborn deposits by adding a mixture of 9 parts water to one part vinegar essence and briefly boiling it.
– Do not use scratchy sponges, steel wool or abrasive cleaning agents because they can rough the surface.
3. Instructions for different handles and lid knobs:
• Please remember that handles should never be placed directly over the burner on stove top. Please avoid also direct contact between handles and the heat source.
• Cast metal handles and pure stainless steel handles on pans and casseroles are completely oven-safe. Because of the good heat conductivity, always handle hot cookware with hot mitts serving aids or our Thermo-Grips. Otherwise, there is a risk of burns!
• Unless otherwise stated, plastic handles and lid knobs are heat-proof up to 140 °C / 284 °F. Please note this when using them in the oven and set the temperature accordingly. Plastic handles and lid knobs become hot when used in the oven. Please use hot mitts, serving aids or our Thermo-Grips, otherwise there is a risk of burns.
• Protect wooden handles in the oven by simply wrapping aluminium foil around them.
• To save space when storing the pan or using in the oven some products feature a removable handle. Please always make sure that it is fully engaged before using the pan next time. In the assembled state a minimum clearance is possible, but this does not affect the safe handling of the product.
All BERNDES products are subjected to the most stringent quality testing during manufacturing process. As manufacturer we grant a voluntary manufacturer‘s warranty between 2 and 8 years (in the USA also limited lifetime household warranty).
Please refer to your cookware packaging for detailed information. If you should have cause for complaint within this period, you can take the product to you local dealer together with you receipt or send it with a covering letter to the address below (without lids or accessories).
The warranty does not cover damage caused by improper use. This includes e.g. overheating, aluminium oxidation, scratches, damage from being dropped or improper cleaning.
If you should have any questions in this regard, please contact our service staff via phone +852 3489 – 3677 or email firstname.lastname@example.org